Welcome to the new website for the AIDS Memorial Quilt New Jersey Chapter! We were founded in 1997 as the NAMES Project of Northern New Jersey serving Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex and Warren counties. Today we cover the entire state of New Jersey as well as the NYC and Philadelphia metro areas. With the transfer of the the AIDS Quilt to National AIDS Memorial in 2019 we have updated our name to reflect that shift along with the increased service area.
— Photo curtesy of Rowen College
New Jersey Chapter
The mission of the New Jersey Chapter of the National AIDS Memorial is to:
- support the mission of the National AIDS Memorial
- facilitate display of the AIDS Quilt with organizations in New Jersey
- promote awareness of HIV/AIDS
- serve as a local AIDS service organization
- build alliances with other local AIDS service organizations
- and help people remember and grieve for those who have died from AIDS-related diseases.
AIDS Memorial Quilt
The AIDS Memorial Quilt was conceived in 1985 as a way for devoted friends and lovers to document the lives they feared history would neglect. Their aim was to create a memorial for those who had died of AIDS, and to thereby help people understand the devastating impact of the disease. This effort became the NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt. Almost forty years later, the Quilt is now under the care and stewardship of the National AIDS Memorial.